The Race That Stops The Nation
30 September 2016
On Tuesday the 1st of November at 3pm everyone will stop to celebrate one of Australia’s most prestigious thoroughbred races.
Our office will be closed for this annual event from 12:00pm and will re-open the following day, Wednesday the 2nd November at 9am.
Here are a few fun facts about Melbourne cup;
* Phar Lap's heart was 6.2kg. The average horse heart weighs 3.2 kg.
* The first race was held in 1861 but first filmed in 1896 and first broadcasted in 1925.
* It is a 3,200 metre race for three-year-olds and over (horses of course).
* The Melbourne Cup is also a Greyhound Race and is also held in November.
* The first winning horse Archer walked to Melbourne for the race from Sydney.
* The youngest winning jockey was only 13 in 1876, Peter St Albans.
Enjoy your celebrations!