20 Pop Culture Events and World Events of 1997
28 April 2017
Where were you in 1997? Here's a snapshot of what was happening around the world:
- Diana Princess of Wales dies in a car crash in Paris. Over 2 billion people worldwide would later watch her funeral at Westminster Abbey.
- O.J. Simpson found liable in the deaths of Ron Goldman & Nicole Simpson in a civil court action
- Fox cartoon series "Simpsons" airs 167th episode the longest-running animated series in cartoon history
- The tallest free-standing structure in the Southern Hemisphere, Sky Tower in Auckland, New Zealand, opens after two-and-a-half years of construction.
- "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" starring Sarah Michelle Geller premieres on WB Television Network
- Steve Irwin's "The Crocodile Hunter" debuts
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is published, the first instalment of the best selling series by J. K. Rowling
- Mother Teresa dies in Calcutta, India
- "Titanic" premieres at the Tokyo International Film Festival
- "Lion King" opens at New Amersterdam Theater NYC
- Asian currency crisis, the collapse of the Thai baht sparked off a financial crisis in Southeast Asia and Japan.
- Nelson Mandela met Spice Girls in 1997 he described the moment as "One of the greatest moments of my life"
- ‘The Castle’ debuts in Australia
- Thousands gather at Lake Burley Griffin to watch the demolition of the Canberra Hospital which later claimed the life of Katy Bender who was struck by a fragment of steel expelled from the building.
- Candace Bushnell wrote Sex and the City.
- Stuart Diver is the sole survivor of the landslide in Thredbo
- The domain facebook.com comes online March 28, 1997.
- The domain netflix.com comes online November 10, 1997.
- Number one song was Candle In The Wind 1997 / Something About The Way You Look Tonight by Elton John, performed as a tribute to Princess Diana
- Adelaide Crows win AFL Premiership in its seventh season